If I were to mention anti-aging services, what would be the first thing that came to mind? Most people think of Botox, fillers, or laser treatments when they hear a provider mention cosmetic dermatology services. These are some of the more popular therapies, but there is another option available that is less invasive and more frugal. Chemexfoliation (aka Chemical/derma peeling) is a more gentle option that is available for patients looking to get rid of age lines. Chemical peels can minimize and diminish the evidence of age on the face, chest, neck, and hands. You may have heard of chemical peels, but associated them with treating other skin conditions. This is because a chemical peel is used to treat various cases of acne and pigmentation issues, but also diminishes many signs of aging.
Patients that receive a chemical peel can expect to see:
- Fewer lines, dimples, and wrinkles.
- Even skin tone and skin color.
- A more voluptuous and bright skin complexion.
- Smooth skin
Whether or not a patient receives a chemical peel for cosmetic reasons they can still expect to see these kinds of results in their skin. As mentioned above, dermatologists utilize these peels for a variety of skin therapies other than that of anti-aging. Patients of all skin types and skin colors can utilize this service. If you or a family member has any of the following skin conditions, you may also be interested in utilizing this treatment:
- Age spots
- Pigmentation/Discoloration (uneven tone or blotchy complexion)
- Dull skin complexion
- Fine facial lines
- Sun-damaged skin
- Rough and bumpy skin
A positive result from using a chemical peel is contingent largely on the skill and knowledge of the person performing the facial peel. Providers at Pine Belt Dermatology & Skin Cancer Centers have practical in-depth knowledge of the skin and how the procedure may effect different patients. To protect your health and to ensure you get the results you are looking for, be sure to see one of our providers. Prior to getting a chemical peel, there is usually a required consultation before a peel can be done. You can take solace in the fact that dermatologists have been utilizing chemical peels for over half a century with an excellent safety record. However, in order to maintain the highest quality care that Pine Belt Dermatology & Skin Cancer Center can offer, we highly recommend that you be able to provide detailed information about your skins medical history.
Information to inform us about on your consultation visit:
- If you are taking or have ever taken isotretinoin, a medicine prescribed for severe acne.
- All other medicines you take — or have recently taken. Be sure your dermatologist knows about antibiotics, acne medicines, and medicines that you buy without a prescription, such as aspirin.
- If you frequently get cold sores or have had cold sores in the past.
- If your skin scars easily.
- All herbs, vitamins, and minerals you take. Even if you haven’t taken these for a while, be sure to mention them.
- All surgeries and cosmetic treatments you have had. While some patients feel embarrassed talking about this, the information you share can make a difference in the results you see. Don’t omit anything — even if it seems unimportant.
Chemical peels offered by PBD:
- Vitalize Peel: this peel is one of the more popular ones available. This is due in large part because it is a much more gentle cosmetic therapy and much less invasive than cosmetic procedures such as Botox or Facelifts. While it is not a deep penetrating peel, it does dramatically improve the skin texture, reduce acne and other blemishes, and will reduce the evidence of age. Patients who want to do away with blemishes or age lines, but do not want to spend the money on more invasive procedures would benefit tremendously from this chemical peel.
- Rejuvenize Peel: this peel is a deeper penetrating peel than the Vitalize It is ideal for radical exfoliation but requires little down time in comparison to other therapies. It produces longer lasting results because it seeps deep into the top layer of skin and causes it to flake away to bring about the healthier and brighter layer of skin. Other peels are best utilized for minor blemishes and aging lines, whereas this particular one is used for more stubborn wrinkles and blemishes. Some of the mild peels must be done once a month, however, the Rejuvenize peel can be done at 8 week intervals.
These chemical peels can be an excellent alternative to Botox & fillers. To schedule an appointment or find out more about our services, please call one of our locations (Hattiesburg, Petal, and Collins) or schedule with us online. For more information about our practice and services offered please visit: http://www.pinebeltderm.com/#services