What is Botox?
Is a younger look what is important to you? Do you want a fast treatment that does not require very much down time? Fillers like Juvederm or Restylane are an option, but if you’re looking for a treatment that is fast and does not directly affect your skin, Botox therapy may be what you are looking for.
Botox is not a filler substance like Juvederm & Restylane. It is a natural, and purified, protein that is gently placed into the skin to relax targeted muscles to reduce evidence of aging skin. Deep wrinkles in the skin are known in the cosmetic dermatology realm as dynamic skin folds. Overtime, Botox therapy will soften these dynamic skin folds and it will also relax the specific muscles that caused the initial wrinkles/lines/dimples. The side effect of this therapy is that certain expressions will be difficult to perform (i.e frowning, laughing, etc.).
- Don’t consider Botox if you are pregnant.
- Botox therapy is not recommended for patients who have neuromuscular diseases. In rare cases it can be done, but as a heuristic, please check with your neurologist before considering the therapy.
- Check with a neurologist before considering Botox if you take any antibiotics or neuromuscular medications as well.
- Botox therapy is unavailable to patients who have an active skin disease.
- Botox therapy does alter your facial appearance, so make sure you are content with that consequence before going through with the therapy. The changes are not permanent, however if you are unsure, you should consider alternative therapies.
What to ask your Dermatology provider:
- What is their experience with this particular therapy?
- Have they had Botox therapy themselves?
- What is the price per unit of Botox?
- Make sure to ask about the dilution and the number of units that will be used on the targeted area. Make sure they explain “why”.
- This question will behoove you in the event you move away and must see another provider. You will know the number of units needed to enhance your appearance.
- Make sure you visit a reputable and Board Certified dermatologist for the best quality therapy available. Pine Belt Dermatology is both Board Certified and reputable in this line of therapy.
If there are any questions regarding this therapy schedule a consultation visit with us today through our website or call one of our clinics!